We work in a variety of ways – around products, functions, and journeys – and we need to
be aligned within and across teams to achieve our strategic planning priorities as an organization. We’ve seen the speed of change in the media and technology landscape accelerate, and the ability to more quickly iterate and align on strategic priorities is key to sustaining our leadership.
OKRs provide a common vocabulary and quarterly process for teams to articulate and align strategy around what they want to achieve, focus efforts on measurable outcomes, and iteratively learn with data over time. OKRs are a way of defining and achieving our best possible outcomes as an organization; they are not a way to measure individual performance. OKR software is also available which provides a platform to stay on track.
Clarity on intent and strategic planning direction
• Communicate 3-5 things you want to accomplish and why they matter
• Inspire and motivate people with sense of purpose so they want to be on board
• May be long or short time span
How success this quarter is measured
• For each objective, 4-6 specific, measurable quarter outcomes
• The best possible results – not most probable – so likely won’t hit 100% on all key results
• Numbers quantifying an end state or outcome, not action items or opinions